Saturday 30 September 2017

I got my Final Year Project title and it is so cool!

FYP title : The host inflammatory reaction to the cochlear stem cell transplant

Sounds sick right? I knowwwwwwwwwwww.....

To be honest I was not quite thrilled the first time I read the title. I actually not so fond of ears and hearing although Proffesor Howley is a great lecturer who teach us that subject. I don't know probably because there are some elements of physics when you learn about ear and hearing. Well actually physics has a lot to do in cells and stuffs but just that when we learn about the ear, the physics side of it is much emphasized. Geddit?

I have started reading some research journals and articles and I find it not too bad at all. And the more I read about it the more I fell in love with ear and hearing. 

Last night I was studying the anatomy and physiology of the ear and subhanallah it was mind-blowing! The whole explanation of the mechanism of hearing seems so simple. The pinna collects sound waves and the sound waves then travel through the ear canal and eventually hit the eardrum (tympanic membrane). 

Sounds so simple right?

Wrong!

I am yet to fathom how our amazing anatomy of the ear and it's mechanism of hearing could give us the ability to distinguish millions of different type of sounds. And how we can "ignore" background noises when we talk to someone or focusing on a different audio like when you are listening to a podcast. 

The creaking wooden floor as I'm walking on it, the whistling of the wind, the steaming broth in a saucepan, the plucking of guitars and violins and the gushing of tap water down the sink. 

It is a wonderful world of tunes.

And to think that we are able to recognise those different sounds by mean of our small ear is just so amazing. And I thought, how can this happen "instantaneously" or just by chance?

It is a grand design. A meticulous one. Perfect for it's function. How can we ever devised something like thus without prior inspiration from existing creation?

It is a very  humbling thought and I hope this project will go well and possibly remind me to always be humble.

Till the next rant,

Nadhirah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments here